Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Candy Cane Brownie Lollipops


For my first post in quite a while, I had hoped to post a recipe for French macarons; my long absence from this blog was due to the fact that Alan and I were living in France for the fall (check out my daily blog from our time there at letsbefranc.blogspot.com) and I thought making something French would be appropriate. But while my attempted macarons tasted good, they were definitely not right. So I will  have to try again, but in the mean time I thought I'd share one of my favorite fancy-but-easy Christmas desserts. I got this recipe at a Pampered Chef party a few years ago. I find that not everyone (ahem, Alan...) likes peppermint, so it might be fun to think of an alternate coating like just sprinkles, or even leave some plain. But for those of us who like peppermint, this is the ultimate candy cane expereince!

Candy Cane Brownie Lollipops
makes 24


Ingredients

  • 1 package (18-21 oz) brownie mix (plus ingredients to make brownies)
  • 24 candy canes
  • 10 oz chocolate flavored almond bark
  • Additional decorations like red jimmies or other sprinkles (optional)

Directions

  1. Prepare and bake brownies in a 9x13 pan. Bake for slightly less time than called for; toothpick inserted near middle should come out with moist crumbs attached. Let cool for 20 minutes.
  2. While the brownies are baking, cut off straight ends of the candy canes to make about 4 1/2 in. sticks (I find that if you cut parallel to the end of the hook it comes out about right). Set straight ends aside; crush hooked ends either by placing in a plastic bag and smashing (they are really hard, and this works ok but not best - maybe try using a hammer) or chop with knife.
  3. Use a 1 or 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop (or just your hands) to shape the brownies into 24 balls (use up all the brownies, although I don't incorporate the hard edges). Be sure to pack the balls tightly so they stay together. Insert a candy cane stick into each ball. (Note: I put mine into the freezer before the next step, which makes the brownies stay together better, but it makes the candy canes sticky while you are dipping them. Maybe just the fridge for an hour would work better?)
  4. Place the almond bark in a small bowl and microwave according to package directions. Dip and coat each brownie ball until the brownie is coated with bark. Dip in crushed candy canes or other decorations. Set upright on aluminum foil and let harden.

No comments:

Post a Comment