Friday, May 21, 2010

Indian Inspiration

I love Indian food.

It might have something to do with the fact that my parents met in India in the Peace Corp, a small but rather important fact in my life. But the one downside to Indian food is that it can be time-intensive to prepare. I'm sure I'll do a post sometime on the three curries (well, there were four, but I hate fresh tomatoes, so I don't make that one) I used to make with my mom, but they take a little more time to prepare and cook.

These samosa-like breads fill the gap between I-want-Indian-food and I-am-starving-and-have-only-30-minutes. Technically they are an appetizer, but my husband and I find that they make a fine meal for two.

Curried Potato-Stuffed Breads
enough for 4-6 as appetizers, 2 for a meal
  • 2 peeled and coarsely chopped all-purpose potatoes
  • 1 cup finely diced carrot (we grate ours)
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 Tbs. vegetable oil, plus extra for cooking breads
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup frozen peas, microwaved till warm
  • 2 tsp. curry powder
  • 4 8-inch flour tortillas

Directions

  1. Place potatoes and carrot in large saucepan with enough water to cover by 1 inch, and add 1/2 tsp. salt. Boil until potatoes are soft, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid, and transfer vegetables to medium mixing bowl.
  2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion, and sauté over moderate heat, stirring often, until translucent, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in curry powder, and cook, stirring, 15 seconds. Add 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid to pan. Cook briefly over high heat to reduce liquid by about half, 30 seconds. Add onion with liquid to potatoes, and mash well, adding additional salt if desired. Mix in peas.
  3. Working with one tortilla at a time, spread some mashed potato mixture thickly over half the tortilla. Fold tortilla over potato mixture to close. Heat 1 tsp. oil in large skillet. Add bread, and fry over medium heat, until browned, 45 to 60 seconds. Flip bread, and cook until browned. Transfer to chopping board, and slice in half. Repeat for remaining breads. Serve immediately, or place in warm oven until ready to serve. 
Recipe adapted from the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook, which I highly recommend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment